26Jun | 2013
If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for the past week I’ve been working on fixing up our hallway on the second floor. This leads to our bedroom and the nursery, it kind of hurt my eyes every time I walked to our room or conner’s room, specially the window with the horrible dirty outside.
I wanted a soft but noticeable texture for the main wall, and since we live in the mountains trees was my obvious choice =] The window in the hallway is right bellow out top deck so there is really not enough light to care for plants there (the previous owners had cactus there, but I’m not a fan of them) So I decided to use artificial Ikea potted plants to give that window a little bit of pop.
To complete the look, I framed 4 of my favorite pictures of us, the first one of our engagement session, the second of when I was 38 weeks pregnant, the next was the one that never made it to our Christmas cards (because we never sent cards) and the other is Conner just being cute. We changes the light fixture, but we are going to have to change it again because the attachement system doesn’t work very well.
I started by painting the whole hallway a very light cream color. I also painted the doors and baseboards to blend the dark brown, after that I freehand taped the trees on the wall, added a few branches and measure the lines for the opposite wall.
The taping process was very therapeutical, I really enjoyed the tree wall. The lines took a little more time because of all the measuring (not so fun) but after that it was alright =]
As I mention before the window was super dirty on the outside, because it’s right below out deck so in the winter the water and snow runs right on top of the window getting all kinds of dirt stuck on there. To make things worse that window was almost impossible to reach from the outside, my studio’s deck is right below it. Thankfully I have an awesome husband and with the help of a super long ladder he manage to clean the window! now you can actually see the trees on the outside =]
Painting was very fun too, after finishing the trees I realized that the looked a little stiff, so I added a little bit of texture with a brush and an a sample color we had for our living room. You can see the paint process in the animation below!
I used a total of 2 1/2 rolls of tape, a lot less than what I thought I was going to use! just like when I painted the walls in my sewing room, I had to press the tape with an eraser because of the wall’s texture, even though it was a little more time consuming than using the tape just like it is, it was worth it at the end, because I had cleaner and sharp lines even in the bumpy places.
Conner was definitely happy with the huge ball of frog tape we ended up with after I cleaned the walls. He loved that it was slightly sticky but he could toss it around and chase it, definitely not a toy he sees every day.
I was very excited because we managed to give the hallway a fresh new look on 3 days and while staying on a budget =]
I hope you all are having a lovely day!