Camera Cover Tutorial

My Dear MIL lost her camera cover on her vacation trip to Hawaii a few weeks a go, so when she came back she was kind of bummed about it and ask me if I could make something for her. She loved this red pattern of fabric, and I got to work! It's a very simple project that only took me about 30 minutes 🙂 I used outdoor canvas for the outside and oatmeal linen for the inside.

Note: This tutorial is for my Mother in law's Canon PowerShot SD630 camera, I can not guarantee it will fit other models or brands.

camera cover

MATERIALS:

• 2 pieces of 6.25×4.25 inches (5.8×10.8 cm) one of each fabric for the body
  • 2 pieces a little bigger than the body of lightweight interfacing  (I use pellon 808)
  • 2 pieces of 1.5×3.5 inches (3.8×8.8 cm) also one of each fabric for the strap
  • Small piece of Batting( you can also substitute this with  felt)
  • Small piece of Velcro

PROCESS:

[ Click on Images to enlarge]

camera cover 1- First you will have to press the interfacing to back of the main fabric, in my case the red.
camera cover 2- Sew the piece of Velcro an inch away from the edge of the body fabric, and the opposite piece to the center of your liner fabric for the stripe
camera cover 3- Once you have the Velcro ready, face the fabrics and  sew around it leaving one end open, so you can turn inside out.
camera cover 4- Turn the piece inside out and it should look like this.
camera cover 5- Sew around the edge and this piece is ready!
camera cover 6- Fold both body pieces in half and sew the edge, leaving the Velcro close to the top on the main fabric.
camera cover 7- Open seems and pull the fabric at one of the corners so that the side seam and the bottom seam are on top of each other. draw a line of about 3/4 of an inch.
camera cover 8- Sew on top of the line and cut the extra.
camera cover 9- Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the liner fabric.
camera cover 10 –  Fold the main fabric inside out and leave the liner like it is, now you need to cut a tube of batting or felt to put in between the fabrics, mine was about 3.25×6.25 inches (8.3×5.8 cm) and I sew on one end.
camera cover 11- Place the batting inside the main fabric, push it down and then place the liner inside the batting, it can be kind of tricky but I used the same camera to fit everything inside and push equally – Fold the top both fabrics to the inside and pin. Add the stripe in between the fabrics and make sure both pieces of Velcro fit.
camera cover 12- Sew around the edge and you are done, it should look something like this!

camera cover

camera cover

I am very happy with the result and MIL loved it!

* This tutorial is provided for personal, non-commercial use only.
Check the Site policy at the bottom for further information, Thank you!

1. MIL Betty
    MIL Betty says:

<3 HowJoyful? VERY JOYFUL!!! I love you Joy! and I love the camera case! Thank you so much! <3

I think that would actually be a cool idea, I will add some to the shop I will open in the blog soon 🙂 Thanks Cece!

2. Daphne
    Daphne says:

Hi, thanks for share your wonderful idea… i take your link for my blogg… I hope you visit

Bye
    Daphne

3. Billie Monster
    Billie Monster says:

Hello! I just found your blog – and am a new follower! My fiance JUST asked me not 30 minutes ago if I could make him a case for his MP3 player and BOOM I find your post. Haha!

4. amber
    amber says:

You may want to check your measurements and conversions. This was simple and fun, but I had to make it twice because I did not test my camera fit:(. Thanks for the tutorial anyhow! <3

I guess I should have listed the model and brand of the camera I made this for, because obviously they are not all the same. I did add a note now so it doesn’t happen to anyone else, I am glad you liked it =]

5. Rachel
    Rachel says:

This really was easy to make!
    Thank you for the tutorial, you can see my version of your camera case on my blog.
    🙂

6. doro K.
    doro K. says:

easy to make but really great!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

7. JenL
    JenL says:

Hi Joy, love your blog! I know my camera is definitely larger than your MIL’s so I have a question. Did you just add seam allowance and a little ease to the camera’s measurements to get your fabric measurements? Thanks! JenL

Hi Jen, actually I added the seam allowance plus the thickness of the camera, in my case it was an inch =] I hope that helps you! =]

8. Megan
    Megan says:

I like this tutorial and have to try it out. 🙂
    I find the fusible velcro (the one you iron on) is easier to work with, rather than sewing. That way you can add it on last if you don’t want to sew the velcro or have a hard time at sewing velcro onto projects. 🙂

Love this case!
    Can you try making one for cell phone? (It looks too big for a cell phone as is)

9. Macarena
    Macarena says:

How joyful to find your blog, full of beautiful things and creative ideas, but my biggest surprise was to learn that you’re Chilean 😀 I read about why you began blogging so you could improve you’re English and let me tell you, your english’s great 😉 Saludos desde La Serena! Te seguiré en Instagram 🙂

10. Deurbel met camera
    Deurbel met camera says:

I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.

I really hope to see the same high-grade content by you later on as well.

In fact, your creative writing abilities has
    motivated me to get my own blog now 😉