Camera carrier insert – the preview

Some time a go I shared camera bags inspiration because I wanted to make a bag to protect my recently upgraded camera. Well, I kind of changed my mind in the process and instead of making one camera bag, I decided to make a camera bag insert. So I can switch it with different purses, you know I kind of like to match my bag with what I am wearing 😛 AND I do not have the money to invest in different color camera-purses. So here is my solution, I made this insert (It already fits all my big purses) and I plan to make other purses that fit this little cutie =]

My plan for this post was actually share the tutorial right away, but I'm pretty sick so I am trying to stay away from the computer, so the tutorial will come later on =] pinky promise!

In my last visit to the thrift store I scored 8 yards of this turquoise felt for $5 – I was pretty excited because it was EXACLY what I was looking for and in one of my favorite colors! Lucky me =] So I used left over foam from the laptop bag I made some weeks a go and Velcro. The sewing was actually easier than I expected at first and I can not be happier with my camera insert!

The shape of the handles is not very “weight friendly” specially when they are made out of felt, but I only grab it from there to lift it and change it from bag to bag, so to my it's not a big deal. I just really wanted to have a straight edge look =] I also topstitch the edges because I wanted the look of the seam in the outside, I think it looks good. What do you think?

I actually used the old camera as the model for this pictures, because… well my actual camera needed to work! So just pardon the “vintage look” hehe. And what exactly do I carry in my to-go camera bag?
– Camera with the EF 50 f/1.8 lens on it
– 2 extra lenses
– Battery charger
– 2 extra batteries
– Remote control
– Flash light diffuser
– Tripod hook
– extra memory card
– USB flash-drive, why? I don't know I just always like to carry one, you never know when you might have a file-emergency LOL

… and everything fits perfectly =] I also made 2 little pockets for the little stuff.

there you go! my new camera carrier-insert. sturdy. pretty. turquoise! accepts any kind and color purse – not clutches allowed sorry!

On another note, I will be going on vacations at the end of the month and I am arranging some guest post to keep the blog going while I spend some time with my family in Chile, so if you have a tutorial or a crafty post you'd like to share head over to my submissions page and send me quick note! I'd love to feature some fresh ideas, specially from new blogs!

p.s. The tutorial will come once I feel better OK? – Have you notice I am leaning towards turquoise A LOT lately? No wonder it's one of my business main colors, hehe.

Have a great day!
XO

1. Suzie
    Suzie says:

Oh my goodness, I LOVE THIS! Well done for making this, it is just so perfect! And I was so excited that you mentioned you are going to make a tutorial for this – I cannot wait! Hope you are feeling better soon

2. Beth
    Beth says:

Cant wait for the tutorial. I have a similar camera bag insert started and abandoned on the sewing room floor. I just can’t get to the next step.

3. VickiT
    VickiT says:

Wow. First of all; please feel better soon. Being sick is never any fun at all. Hopefully all the posts under these pictures will help to make you feel a little better. Certainly kick whatever you have out of your body so you aren’t flying to another country while sick. ewww that would be horrible.

Now …..This camera bag insert is just awesome! I love it. Cannot wait for the tutorial. I’m always looking for somthing to make hubby and while he doesn’t carry a purse at 6’6″ tall/320lbs, he does have more lenses that storage in his camera bag. In all honesty, I can’t even LIFT his camera bag much less think about walking around while shooting with that over my shoulder. LOL He picks it up like it’s a 6 week old kitten. ha Anyway, making one of these would provide safer storage for the extra lenses that don’t fit in his mondo sized bag he carries. I’m already picturing having some machine embroidery designs on this with his name accross the lifter handles even. He’d love that.

4. Erika Sews
    Erika Sews says:

Oh, this is super awesome! I would rather carry this pretty little bag around for my camera and supplies than the GIANT impractical bag I have now!

5. Michele
    Michele says:

This is so adorable – it would make a perfect gift for my sister!! Do you sell them by chance? Or would you be willing to sell me one? Please email me and let me know. [email protected]. Thanks!

6. Susan Cepin
    Susan Cepin says:

This is great! I’ve been trying to figure out how to sew up a bag with velcro compartments for my SLR — I love the idea of a drop-in organizer to outfit any bag! I’m looking forward to the tute!!

7. Asali
    Asali says:

it is goorgeous!! I was going to make the bag but your idea is much better this way it is possible to change bags! would love to see the tutorial it looks soooooo professional! hope to see the tutorial soon! thanks a lot!

8. Michelle
    Michelle says:

What type of padding did you use? Love the design and am going to make another stab at making one (the last one didnt turn out too well!)

9. Debbi
    Debbi says:

Love the design of your camera insert bag it’s fab! Do you happen to have a pattern for it?

10. Kristen S
    Kristen S says:

Will you be posting the tutorial for this anytime soon (I didn’t see it on your tutorials page)?? I would LOVE to make one! OR how about an email of the pattern/instructions? 🙂 Thanks!

I am not sure of when I will post the tutorial, I have it in my drafts, so just stay tuned, I will update this post with a link to the tutorial once it’s live =]

11. victoria
    victoria says:

very nice. hope the tutorial will come so we can try and recreate your wonderful organizer “)