How to sew a crib bedding and nursery essentials – Sewing tutorials roundup

This post actually started as a tutorial of all of the bedding elements I sewed for little Peanut's nursery, but just like the wheel there is no need for a reinvention in crib bedding tutorial world. After a quick Google search, I found pretty much every helpful information I was planning on sharing on my tutorials.

So instead of giving you tutorials for our nursery's bedding, I decided to make a compilation with the best tutorials I found on the web (I wish I would have search for this before making all of my projects, it would have saved lots of time and measuring) At the bottom of each category I'm sharing little bits of what I did =] but all of my pictures will come in another post.

1. Fitted crib sheet by Sew for Home
  2. Crib and toddler bed sheet by Dana from Made via Luvinthemommyhood
  3. Crib sheet by Jaime from Prudent Baby
  4. Crib sheet part 2 by Jacinda from Prudent Baby
  5. Minky crib sheet by Heidi from Honey bear lane
  6. Crib sheet using a serger by Jacinda from Prudent Baby

In my case I made 3 crib sheets and 2 bassinet sheets (for the basinet I did the same but with different measurements) The closest tutorial to the way I did it is number 2, but since I don't have an overlock machine I did a French seam to finish the sides.

1. Pleated crib skirt by Sew for Home
  2. Crib skirt by Dina from Honey and Fitz
  3. Crib skirt by Erin from Domestic Adventure
  4. No sew crib skirt by Sherry from Young House Love
  5. No sew crib skirt by Kelly from View along the way
  6. Ruffled crib skirt by amy from Positively Splendid

For the skirt I made I liked the “pleated” look but I wanted it very subtle. I did an opening on the front but kept it straight. To attach to the crib, I made a solid piece to go under the mattress and pin the fron and side, so that when it's time to pull the bed lower moving the panels up will be very easy =]

1. Crib bumper with jumbo piping by Sew for Home
  2. Crib bumper by Leanne from Elle Apparel
  3. Crib bumper by Tam from Sew dang cute crafts

Fou our bumpers I actually decided to go with a breathable mesh, I've heard very good things about them so I just cover the edges with pretty fabric and call it a day!

1. Chevron Chenille Baby Blanket by Anneliese from Aesthetic nest
  2. Self binding receiving blanket by Abby from Sew much ado
  3. 3 different binding for blankets by Sew for Home
  4. Bound and personalized blanket by Sew for Home
  5. Beginners blanket by Jaime from Prudent Baby
  6. Simple baby blanket by Liz Stanley at Momtastic
  7. Ric rac receiving blanket by Abby from Sew much ado
  8. Snuggler by Lotta Jansdotter via Craft
  9. Knit Receiving Blanket by Ashley from Make it and love it

I've made a couple of blankets for Peanut, a very simple one with a super soft fabric and cute binding and a quilted one. I didn't use the tutorials I'm sharing but number 2 covers the binding in a very simple way, so I would recommend you to use that if you are planning on making something binded.

1. Storage Basket by Sew for home
  2. Collapsible Storage Baskets by Sew for Home
  3. Changing pad cover by Elizabeth from E tells tales (Sorry this tutorial is no longer available in her blog)

And for fun, I'm also sharing some storage boxes and a changing pad tutorial, for our changing pad cover I did the same process she did on that tutorial, but for the back I did the same as the sheets and added an elastic, so it really fits like a glove YAY!

There you go a bunch of great tutorials so you can make the custom bedding you want! If you end up using the tutorials make sure to show the Crafters some love! We all know that making tutorials is not an easy task. I will show you all of the things I sewed on the next few weeks, just so you can all see what I've been talking about on this post =]

I hope you all have a wonderful day!
XOXO

How to sew a crib bedding and nursery essentials - Sewing tutorials roundup by @howjoyful

1. creative mind
    creative mind says:

i definitly keep this post in file! i have a nursery bedding etsy shop and im always looking for tips when i get stuck, but i dont have the patience to go over all the tutorials to find what i need! this will be a quick reference! thanks 🙂

2. amanda @ baci
    amanda @ baci says:

Thank you so much – I wasn’t falling in love with any crib bedding online so I kept thinking I’d make it all myself and this post will help me immensely!! You’re the best 🙂

3. Anni
    Anni says:

Love this recap, totally pinning for when I need it, even tho I want to make some shower gifts with the tutorials too, those baskets are too cute!

4. Crib Sheets
    Crib Sheets says:

Your Baby-Bed elements are very good, I like them all. You shares amazing collection hope every one gona like them. Thanks for sharing this with us.

5. Leah
    Leah says:

Can you give any specifics on how you covered the edges of your breathable bumpers? I’ve been looking everywhere for a tutorial, and I can’t find one. I’d appreciate any insight or tips! Thanks!!!

Hi Leah!

Actually I just pull all the pieces apart, copied the binding and sew everything back together, but if I were to do it again, I would just make the binding wider to cover the one that comes with the bumper because sewing everything back together is a pain and very tricky because the mesh elasticity. So I would only pull the velcro away and add wider binding and new stripes.

Hope this helps!
      Joy –

6. Jen C
    Jen C says:

I love what you did with the breathable mesh bumpers… This may be a silly question, but do you have a tutorial on that? Or at least an idea of how much fabric it would take?

Hi Jen!

Actually I just pull all the pieces apart, copied the binding and sew everything back together, but if I were to do it again, I would just make the binding wider to cover the one that comes with the bumper because sewing everything back together is a pain and very tricky because the mesh elasticity. So I would only pull the velcro away and add wider binding and new stripes, it should not take you more than 2 yards =] but i would measure the bumper to make sure.

Hope this helps!
      Joy –

7. Melanie
    Melanie says:

Very cool~!! I”m SO excited to try all these! The bummer part is the contoured changing pad cover isn’t on her blog anymore… hopefully I can find another just as good! Thanks for your compilation work 🙂

Oh that’s a bummer that the tutorial is no longer there! =[ I will update the post to let everyone know! Thank you for the heads up!

xo

8. Lela Luster
    Lela Luster says:

Where do you find Minky that is 67″ wide for the crib sheets? I have only been able to find it 60″ wide.

9. Jerrold
    Jerrold says:

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now
    each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the
    same comment. Is there any way you can remove me
    from that service? Thank you!

10. selina
    selina says:

Just had to say thank you for sharing your talents! Your posts are really inspirational and your tutorials show us that we too can achieve amazing results. Really love your style, thanks for sharing.

11. Ropa de cuna
    Ropa de cuna says:

I have just found your tutorial links, and I think they are very interesting. It’s difficult to get Spanish webs about this type of DIY.

Thanks for your information.