I wanted to start by saying THANK YOU! for all the lovely comments we received when we announced that we are homeowners, I loved reading all of them! It feels so good to be in our own house now. We moved weekends ago and after a full week with no internet service I am very happy to be back, but still trying to catch up with work and emails =]
The very first project I got to tackle the week we moved (other than cleaning, trying to unpack and organizing) was the revamp for the built-in desk in the sewing room because since the minute I saw it I knew I wanted to prettify it.
The countertop was a laminate surface, so I come out with a bunch of different ideas to revamp it, I thought painting was not going to be a very durable option with me using it all the time, but once at the store, I realized that they had a special paint for laminated surfaces! silly me =]
I guess I just needed to go out there and see what the store had, I was planning on adding a vinyl sheet as one of the top ideas on my list, but they were all a lot more complicated than just paint, so I am super happy they had the exact color tint for this pain (they only carry 16 different colors).
To start I took all of the drawers and doors apart, then took all of the hardware off, clean it very well and added paper an tape around all the areas I was going to paint. The inside of the cabinets was super dark, so I also planned on painting it (white) so that I could see in there better.
Because this is a build-in taping was kind of hard on some areas but it just required some extra patience =] For the countertop I was surprised of how good of a coverage the paint had, I could have left it with just one layer, but to be sure I did 2 anyways.
The rest of the structure was solid wood, so I end up giving it 3 layers of paint, the pink covered really well but since it had more intricate corners I preferred to give it one more =]
I also wanted to share a little trick I use every time I need to paint hardware and screws, if I need the heads of the screws to be the same color as the hardware I just pinch them to a piece of styrofoam, as for the hardware I choose the side that will be visible to paint first and then once it's dry I take it out and finish the other side. This has always worked really well for me, so I hope it can help others too =]
I also wanted to share one of the things that excited me the most about the built-in, it has an extendable top. I think it would be the perfect space to have a Serger (since they are not needed all the time) I could easily pull it out every time I need it =]
Now I just need to buy one, but with the new house and such I don't see it happening anytime soon, but at least it already has a place in the sewing room =] I just love the mechanism inside, it has a little handle in the bottom that you pull to unlock so you can put it back it. So perfect!
For the hardware I just spray painted with a very similar color pink, it's a shade softer but you can hardly tell. At first, I wanted it to be a hotter pink but now I think it looks good and I am starting to like it more and more.
And as usual I had to share a picture of how Curly keeps me company when I work, it was pretty cold with all the doors and windows open in the studio, so he just crawls into a ball to stay warm. He is doing so much better now in the house, at first he was super scare of the stairs (we use to only have a 2 level house, not 3 like now) He used to cry for us to take him up and down but after a few days he goes all by himself and we play hide and seek whenever I have to go up or down =]
I can't wait to have more time and keep on going on the rest of the projects I have lined up, so I can unpack and start to sew again =] and don't worry I know I am still owing 2 tutorials, I hope to finish one of them next weekend so I can share it next week!
**UPDATE: the paint color I used is BEHR ultra 110B-4 (Foxy Pink)
That's it for the revamp of the built-in, more on how the studio/office/sewing room is coming together soon =]
I hope you all have a lovely and sunny day!